Google
 

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

 

My my my, Delilah

TOR CHITTINAND

The Peter Reid saga took another twist yesterday when the Englishman was quoted as saying that he will be happy to become assistant to Stoke City manager Tony Pulis.

Football Association of Thailand (FAT) president Worawi Makudi said on Monday that he had talked to national team coach Reid.


He said Reid dismissed as speculation earlier reports that he would become Pulis' assistant.
Worawi reiterated yesterday that Reid had promised that he would see out his contract with the FAT which expires in 2012.

"I am going to England and I will discuss the matter with him," Worawi said.

The Thai football chief is visiting England as a guest of the English FA. He will see England play Slovenia in a friendly on Sept 5 and meet Croatia in a World Cup qualifier on Sept 9.

Worawi's latest comment came after The Sentinel newspaper reported yesterday that the 53-year-old former Manchester City and Sunderland manager, whose family home is in Lancashire, hopes to be unveiled soon as talks continue to amicably end his 11-month stint as Thailand's national coach.

"The weather is a bit colder back home but it will be great to be back in English football and at the top level," Reid was quoted as saying.

"I can't wait to work with a true football man like Tony. We haven't worked together before, but we have spoken plenty of times over the years about players.

"His record here is fantastic and I just hope I can play a small part in helping him continue the work done during an absolutely brilliant two years for Stoke City.

"I have worked as a number two under Howard Kendall at Everton and Howard Wilkinson with the England under-21s, so the role isn't foreign to me."

Reid, who also had managerial spells at Leeds and Coventry, intends spending plenty of time working with the players on the training pitch and joining in sessions.

"I will help Tony wherever he wants," he told the paper. "But the best thing about being a number two is that you have the time and opportunity to get out there on the training pitch."

The popular Scouser, whose playing career is best remembered at Everton, Manchester City and for England at the 1986 World Cup, also believes he will fit in perfectly in the Potteries.

"I know what the fans are like here from the past and I'd like to think I am from a similar working-class background," Reid said.

"I played at the old Victoria Ground and managed at the Britannia Stadium, so I know they're fanatical and love their football club.

"I just hope I can help them and Tony to carry on improving the stature of this club."

One source claimed there was even a chance he could be in the dugout for Stoke's Carling Cup clash at Leyton Orient tonight.

COMMENT - to be fair it matters not a jolt what Worawi thinks. Employers are usually the last to know anything in these situations. But to go from being the head of the national team to a nodding assistant at a team sure to be fighting relegation or mid table oblivion at best shows someone keen to return home at almost any price.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?